Friday, April 20, 2012

Mama Kathy's Wisdom

Interiano Carranza family
“It takes a village to raise a child,” my mom says as she looks around the dinner table.  She was commenting on the amount of extended family present at dinner that all live on a single plot of land in San Pedrito Abajo.  A father rises from the table to lovingly gather his youngest son who is crying because he doesn’t do well meeting strangers.  This same man’s sister serves food to the group with his wife while his mother, children, nieces and nephews gather around the table in a way that is obviously familiar to them all.  It is quite evident that each adult in this family plays a significant role in each child’s life.  My mom is correct; this small “village” of people is raising children as a shared effort.
This family has three children, Willian, Ada and Jorge, who participate in Camp Ágape.  They graciously opened their home to our Service Learning Group and prepared a meal to share with them. I often do not see the same “village” of support surrounding each of my kids at Camp Ágape in their homes, but my job is not to despair knowing the children face adversity.  Rather, my job is to trust in God’s goodness. 
FPC Service Learning Group
As I look around the dinner table, I am reminded of that goodness and how God provided a village of mentors who contributed to my spiritual formation through the very same church that sent this Service Learning Group with whom I am sharing a meal.  I am thankful for the ways they invested in me and how they have affected my life.  My mind continues down this path and I am reminded that through Camp Ágape, we are providing a similar village that looks out and cares for kids in a way they may or may not receive at home. 
Mom, I agree with you.  It does take a village to raise a child.  It takes a mosaic of people, lessons and experiences to push that child onto greater things.  I’m thankful for the villages in my past, present and future and I’m thankful to be a part of the UPH village that works to support these kids in Copan Ruinas.

No comments: