Monday, December 8, 2008

Thankful for indoor plumbing...

So... this is how it went...

A lot of people, with whom I interact on a regular basis, don’t have indoor plumbing, or any plumbing as a matter of fact.

I went to Juanita’s house to make tamales on Friday because I’ve wanted to know how to make them for a long time. I was there from about 12:30 until 7... it was a really awesome time and there was SO much more to the day that this story. But because this is so entertaining... I’ll share this now, and the rest later...

Juanita lives in one of the poorer communities that we serve and has an outhouse outside her house. We were winding down with the tamales and we were getting ready to go, but I decided to run to the “bathroom” first. So with toilet paper and flashlight in hand, I braved it out to the outhouse.

In normal outhouses, just to give you an idea, there are big boards that function as a floor and a makeshift bench with a hole in it... you know what that’s for. This outhouse, however, didn’t have one big board functioning as a floor, but rather had numerous boards that were strategically placed so that the hole below was covered and people could enter in to do their business.

I went in, a little nervous because it was so dark, and hadn’t entered more than a step when suddenly I found myself bracing myself up with my arms, panicing because my legs were both below the floor, and I was eye-level with the “toilet”. I struggled for a bit, in pain from the fall, and after much screaming for help, managed to get myself out.

What happened was that the previous occupant of the bathroom had unknowingly kicked the board, causing it to be unstable. When I stepped in, the laws of physics went into motion and the unbalanced board flipped.

Luckily, whoever dug the hole for this outhouse was not lazy and dug a VERY deep hole, God bless his soul. So my feet were dangling, not kicking around in very unpleasant materials. I managed to get out of the mess without e coli or touching any fecal matter... I just have a HUGE bruise on my thigh, wet hands, and have a few unidentifiable stains on my jeans.

As gross as the story is... I’ve been laughing about it from the second it happened. So be thankful that you have indoor plumbing in the states... or even in Mexico. God taught me not to complain about not being able to flush toilet paper – at least I HAVE a toilet and not an outhouse. There’s never any use in complaining... it really could always get worse.

2 comments:

marcos said...

that is hilarious, thanks for that! hahaha, im glad that God's even using that to teach you. Hurray for embarrassing stories you'll never forget and will always keep with you!

Satchell Drakes said...

I always find it more and more interesting that one can just...leave home. Fun stuff.