Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cutting out the Middle-Man

Here in Maneadero, along the highway, there are fields of flowers.  Every time we drive by, we all marvel at how beautiful it looks, and I joke about pulling over and taking a picture amidst all the flowers.  

Especially lately, I have been missing the presence of flowers in our apartment.  Every spring, my mom cuts flowers from her garden, and there are almost always fresh-cut flowers on our table.  We (the three girls and Rafa) sat down to eat together a few nights ago and I missed the flowers.  It felt like something was missing.  
Faustino and Tomasa told us that there was a place yo
u could get bouquets of flowers for 15 pesos (like $1.10 USD).  Sarah and I were certain they'd be dinky little bouquets of the reject flowers, but any flowers would be better than none, right?  So we got directions and went yesterday.  Low and behold, we walk up to a house and all over the property are buckets of fresh-cut flowers--sunflowers, heather, "pretty green fillers", and tons more.  I'm not going to lie, I was a little overwhelmed with the selection.  All over the yard there were also people cutting, and stripping flowers of the leaves on their stems to make better bouquets.  
I quickly realized that by going to this place, we were cutting out the middle man... that's why the flowers were so cheap!  So I asked some one which flowers were for sale and they kind of chuckled and said, "All of them."  I decided not to get a made bouquet, and just grabbed two bunches flowers that caught my eye. The two bunches only cost 20 pesos... amazing.  So now, we have sweet honey-like smelling flowers on our kitchen table, and at half the price of flowers at Produce Junction!  WOOOOO!  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is just beautiful Kourt! way to bring some traditions from home to your home in Mexico:)

I love you and thanks for the fbook post, I am thinking of you as well.

Anonymous said...

that's my girl
loving flowers and making sure you never pay full price!
beleive it or not
the bouquet i have on the table right now is quite similar
must run in the family!!!

love ya
miss ya
have fun with kristiana
mom