Monday, May 11, 2009

Que linda está la mañana

When Rick asked what the biggest holiday in Mexico was, he was told that it's Mother's Day.  Surprised?  I was too, and I completely didn't believe it until Saturday night.  Here in Mexico, they go out and sing mañanitas to the moms on Mother's Day Eve, which is actually Mother's Day, just super early in the morning.  

So Saturday night, May 9, at exactly midnight, we embarked out on our journey to sing.  Rafa had tied the speakers and cerebro (sound board) to the back of the pick-up and we drove from house to house, singing, whooping, and yelling merriment at all the moms we know.  

We had a blast, and it was great to honor the moms in my life.  :)  We even got to call my mom on Monday and sing to her.  We woke her up for her birthday.  

I think I might bring this tradition back to the states with me... all you moms, get ready for some serious serenades!  

2 comments:

Artemis said...

Oops...I didn't do one single thing mom related....Guess that will have to wait for next year.

Anonymous said...

Even though I was forewarned of the tradition
I was surprised to be awakened at 1:30 AM to numerous verses of the serenade
It was fun indeed and I felt super loved
thanks, Kourtney and fellow singers
love
MOM