Monday, January 26, 2009

I fought the MICRO...

Down here in Baja, they call their public transportation "micro" or "camioneta". The term I've heard most often is "micro", and that's what I've been calling it.

What's so funny about the micro is that they tear through the streets of Zorrillo, Maneadero, and Ensenada as if they were all taxi-drivers from NYC that were kicked out because they drive too wildly. Driving in Mexico is a fun adventure because you are constantly battling the micro, hoping not to be cut off, throwing your fists up in righteous anger when you are, and always avoiding the right hand lane because of the paradas continuas (continuous stops) the micro makes. We have a claim between us interns: "I fought the micro.... and WON!!" Everytime we pull out onto the highway, we pull out onto the battlefield--us vs. the micro. When you can successfully get from point A to point B without the micro cutting you off or making you want to lay on your horn, you have won... this is a great triumph.

Aside from the joys of sharing the road with these crazy short-busses (they are literally re-painted short buses like most school districts use), it is an entirely separate experience to board one and take the ride into Ensenada.

Today, Casey and I rode the micro into town to check out the Christian bookstore and pick up some groceries. It was not my first time on the micro, nor will it be my last ride, but today I was especially struck by the uniqueness of a micro-ride in Mexico. It all started as our micro tore down the hill to where we were standing to catch it. As we signaled for him to stop and pick us up, he barely slowed down as he pulled off the road and I literally jumped back, thinking he wasn't going to stop in time to not hit me! I've never heard any stories of micros hitting people, so it seems as though they have a good track record... but MAN! The driver laughed at me as I got on because he knew exactly what had gone through my mind as he pulled over--apparently I can't hide my emotions well.

We continue to tear down the "highway" in the same fashion as before we boarded. I hung onto the seat in front of me and shot Casey amused glances as we whipped all over the road. As we approached Ensenada, we pulled over to pick up a passenger and a vendor hops on board briefly to sell the driver some juice., which he proceeds to share with the passenger who just boarded. Casey and I looked at one another, smiled, and said, "Only in Mexico!"

It turns out the passenger wound up being the driver's girlfriend. I know this because as we got off, so did she, and as I'm standing behind her, ready to hop off, she leans over and plants a BIG wet one on the driver... Granted, I've never lived in a city, so public transportation has not been a huge part of my life up until this point, but even so, in all my travels, I have not yet seen a like situation.

All in all, it was a very entertaining ride. I love the micro... there really is nothing like it.

No comments: