Monday, January 5, 2009

Living by faith

"There are times when you choose to believe something that would normally be considered absolutely irrational. It doesn't mean that it is actually irrational, but it surely is not rational. Perhaps there is suprarationality: the reason beyond normal definitions of fact or data-based logic; something that only makes sense if you can see a bigger picture of reality. Maybe that is where faith fits in."
-William P. Young, The Shack

I read The Shack during the past few days and it was a great read. I really appreciated this passage because it seems to me to be such a clear picture of what faith is--a further development of Hebrews 11:1. We trust God, even though our eyes can't see and our brains can't comprehend the reasons behind what He tells us to do.

While I was at home, a lot of people asked me what I will be doing at the end of this year in Mexico. It is a logical and simple enough question, but each time I was asked, my anxiety about the future grew. I've thought about quite a few options, but quite simply, I really just don't know yet. I feel like I'm graduating high school or college all over again, that stage in your life when the future looms like some unknown dark cloud.

BUT-- this time it's different. God was faithful before in making my paths straight (leading me to TCNJ and then to Mexico). So this big God, who has a much bigger and better perspective on reality than I, will be faithful to direct my paths once more. I can trust in that and I don't need to worry about what lies ahead.

It's an exhilarating yet scary place to be. Not knowing the future frees me up from worrying about it, but it also requires that I relinquish all control over it. I guess that's the beauty of putting our faith in God.

2 comments:

Matthew Warren said...

Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7 He truly is worthy of our faith. I hope all is well, friend.

Satchell Drakes said...

Agreed.
There's something liberating about living one day at a time when you realize that's all you're really asked to hold on to.