Tuesday, May 31, 2011

pila [PEE-lah]

Here in Honduras, I have three options when it comes to laundry: 1) take it to the laundry lady [she weighs it and charges by the pound], 2) let it stay dirty [not the best smelling option], or 3) wash it myself by hand in the pila.

When I was here last year, I looked at the pila, recognizing it because we had one on our back porch in Mexico, but I had NO idea how to use it, nor did I know what it's called. Thankfully, Rachel, one of my co-workers, had lived in Ecuador for a number of years before coming here, so she knew quite well how to use a pila and graciously taught me.

Coming back to Honduras 3 weeks ago, I was planning on washing my own clothes. So far, my Saturday mornings consist of washing all the clothes I can fit on my two little clothes-lines on my back porch. Normally, all the clothes from the week don't fit, so I wind up having to wash Saturday night or Sunday morning as well, once the first round dries.

I've had a few adventures with my pila, even in the short time I've been using it. The first week, as I was getting used to the whole routine again, I wound up splashing water all over my back neighbors. The next week, as I was filling the basin, about a thousand small ants came pouring out of one of the corners. I'm guessing the basin hadn't been filled for a LONG time and the ants had happily set up their colony within the concrete. I wasn't sure whether to be disgusted at the sheer number of ants, or simply amazed. Either way, it was memorable.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Hahaha....I feel like I had tried to wash a shirt on that thing on our front porch and I put a ton of holes in the shirt. Glad to hear that your attempts have been more successful :)