Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Forever far from those you love...

So Matt Peace came to visit us last week. He wanted to check in, see how we were doing and get to know us a little better. Matt Peace is the director of Short Term Missions with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.

As we were talking about this experience, what we (Casey and I) should expect, and how we are currently feeling, he told us that from this point on in our lives, no matter where we are, we will be far from people that we love. It sounded a little funny to me, but he explained himself: While we are here in Mexico, we are far from all those we love at home, but once we go back home, we will be far from those we have come to love here in Mexico. So from this moment on in our lives, we will live far away from people we love, whether they are our families or those with whom we have grown relationships while doing missions.

As I get to know the people here, share my heart with them and get to see more of their hearts, I realize the truth in what Matt shared with us. I can see myself growing to really love these people and appreciate them in all their uniqueness. There are so MANY different people here, and each of them bring something so beautiful to the body of Christ, whether it is their passion for service, their passion for the word, their passion for honest and healthy relationships, passion for children, or even just their good sense of humor... these people are working their way into my heart. I could feel it from the first moment I met them... but each day, it grows and grows...

Tonight we went for the first time to Gabriel's church. He is a young pastor, the youngest of all 7, and has the smallest congregation. They just celebrated their 1 year anniversary as a church on Saturday and were SO excited to be able to declare a year together in the Lord.

When we got there, Gabriel's face LIT UP! It was one of the absolute warmest welcomes we have received here in Mexico. He had only met us once before when we stopped by to meet him with Tammie. It was a VERY brief intro, and then we left. So tonight, we actually got to talk to him, meet his wife, fellowship with the few people from his congregation and then particiapte in their worship service. It was such a blessing to be there with them. He has a great sense of humor and really has a passion for the word of God. He really wants to challenge his congregation and with God's help, does a good job.

We got to hear his brother preach on Saturday night at a youth conference, and it is quite obvious that the good sense of humor and gift of preaching runs in the family.

Gabriel's parents are part of his congregation and they are an obvious support to him. They sat right in the front and offered confirming AMENs and ALELUYAs throughout the service. It was nice to get to talk to them and get to know them as well.

This congregation is little, but passionate. Gabriel's passion for the word is contageous and he clearly loves the people God has put in his path.

I'm really excited to see what God does with this congregation in the next year. Gabriel's wife was talking about starting a service of "pura alabanza", meaning just praise. She was really excited about it and hopes to get it off the ground in a few weeks. We shall see....

In the meantime, Casey and I are praying about where God would have us working once Rick and Tammie get back. Our time right now is to be dedicated to getting to know the people in the different churches and asking God where He wants us and where He wants to use us. So many of the churches are doing such wonderful things that I'm not even sure what I have to offer them. I can offer them my love and support... and any counsel I have for them would most definitely come from God, not me, because I really have nothing to offer.

Thank you all for your prayers and emails and updates on your lives... I really appreciate being able to stay connected to home.

PS- I made Grandmom's tomato sauce and had it for dinner tonight with Casey. :o) It was yummy. A little taste of home...

No comments: