Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Smooth like buttah

So I've decided that instead of trying to capture the entire experience in writing, I'm going to share stories as I go. Some will be silly. Some will be significant. Some will be profound. Some will be just plain beautiful.

Tonight I want to share with you about my first experiences DRIVING in Mexico. Once I got here, I knew i would be driving at least a little bit because rick and Tammie told us as much. Chuck had mentioned perhaps going out on a test drive in the van we are using to ease into the driving here. Mind you, driving in Mexico is not for the faint of heart. There are virtually NO rules. People fly all over the road and make turns when they shouldn't, zip out into the "highway" and nearly hit pedestrians on a regular basis. Just being IN a car here is an experience, let alone being the one driving!

So I knew I'd be driving because Casey expressed concern and fear about driving the van (very old, very boxy, very big vehicle that is ours to use for the year), while I informed Rick and Tammie that i am one of 6 and that I drove a suburban for a number of years. So my experience and fearless attitude (haha) gained me the position of chofer.

I wasn't expecting to have to drive until later on this week because Rick and Tammie just left today and Chuck is still here. BUT, Monday, Casey and I were over at R&T's doing laundry and hanging out when Tammie got a phonecall from Rick asking her to meet him at the mechanic's, and to bring me so I could bring the van back to the house.... baptism by fire. :)

Casey and I prayed before we pulled out into the street... but not until after i was made fun of (in a friendly, jovial sort of way) by the guys working at the mechanic's who were watching me try to make a K-turn in their little space so I wouldnt have to back out into the street.

Driving it was really awkward because it is such a big car and the roads here a bad, and the people are crazy. So I was driving like a granny and being very careful... we got home safely.

It was quite an experience... nothing catostrophic happened, but as we were driving I looked over at Casey and said to her,"See, this is one of those things you never envision yourself doing. When I was a kid, I never for one second thought that I would be driving a ridiculously huge van down highway 1 in baja california." We both laughed...

But the real point of this story is to tell you all that I've got this driving in Mexico thing down. There are lots of times when you have to make tight turns, turn around in awkward places, and back out of narrow places without hitting a large variety of objects.

I had two small victories today...

1) I backed out of the small space behind our apartment while being wedged in by another van, a sedan, 4 garbage cans, and cement fencing... all this was done with a great deal if finess and without getting as much as a scratch on the car...

2) We have to turn around each time we come out of R&T's house b/c it is a dead end. They live right at the very end of the road and it is quite narrow. The K-turn to be made usually involves going forward and then in reverse at LEAST 3 times because the space is so small... but I have gotten sooooo good that I juxt whipped around, reversed once, and did that turn... :o) And as we completed the turn, I looked over at Casey and said, "Smooth like buttah"... because that's what I am..

hahahahahaah. I crack myself up... Driving in mexico is quite an adventure...

No comments: